Friday, December 05, 2008

it can't be helped

So here I sit, surrounded by piles of paper. White paper, yellow paper, glossy paper with charts and illustrations, stiff dark blue paper encasing yet more white paper. Piles on my desks (I have 2-1/2 of them). Piles in and on top of the "organizer" units on top of my desks. Piles on the floor. More piles over there on that other 2 square feet of formerly empty floor. Bookshelves filled, not with books, but with piles of paper.

Houston, we have a problem.

Those of you who read my blog back in April 2008 (tinyurl.com/63jul8) will remember my initial excitement for David Allen's book, "Getting Things Done" and the (then free) software I found that implements his method. The book is still an excellent book, and the software, now available for a truly nominal fee, is still good and getting better with each new release. Here's the link: www.trgtd.com.au/

So where's the holdup? In a word, me. No plan works by itself. The best crafted methods are worth no more than the paper on which they're printed until someone (that would be me in this case) actually makes an effort to implement them.

David Allen's method obviously works. He's proven it hundreds of times with far more serious cases than mine. Following his GTD process empties your brain of everything you need to remember and lets you recall it at exactly the right time to get it done when it's supposed to be done. The catch is being consistent.

Just as with an exercise program or a diet or learning a language or a musical instrument or (fill in the blank with your long-term goal of choice), consistency is paramount. And with David's plan, you must get a roaring start. You must clear out EVERYTHING from ALL of your working areas (even the corner of your nightstand and the glove compartment of your car) and put them into the system. Then you must reference and use the system CONSTANTLY.

The key to success, then, is changing habits. I don't generally like changing my habits. Not too many folks do, I'll bet. But in order for this (or any similarly significant goal) to be achieved, habits have to change. Shikata ga nai (it can't be helped - there is no other way).

Tony Robbins reminds us that we respond best to the hope of pleasure and the fear of pain. Guess my next step will be to vividly imagine compelling examples of pleasure and pain.

"Honey, where did I put that tax rebate check we got last spring?" Oops - time to change habits …

No comments: